I am clearly incapable of not making playlists. At PatreCon (the Patreon conference), we were talking about how to do creative, fun stuff for our supporters. A few months earlier, someone on tumblr had asked us what the characters' favorite holidays were and it got me thinking about how Adam would absolutely have a Halloween playlist. Then that got me thinking about how Caleb would have a Christmas playlist, etc., etc. and it seemed like a fun way to get each character to make their own playlist. So that's what this is.
These playlists are technically "in universe" but will not include annotations by me or any of the actors about why certain songs were chosen. Instead all of these annotations are by the characters themselves.
Adam's halloween mix
Let's get spooky - Adam
1. "I Put a Spell on You" - Nina Simone
- There are about a million versions of this song but why would you listen to anyone else when the queen Nina Simone has done a version?
2. "Love Crime" - Siouxsie
- A great song by a great artist that was in one of the greatest episodes of the greatest show on television, Hannibal. All Hail Our Lord Bryan Fuller (also Hugh Dancy. Unf.)
3. "Dark Doo Wop" - MSMR
- This whole album is perfect for Halloween.
4. "Girl With One Eye" - Florence + The Machine
- Florence absolutely holds seances and you cannot convince me otherwise.
5. "This is Halloween" - Panic! At the Disco
- Again, there are a million versions but Brendan Urie's voice always wins.
6. "Welcome to the Black Parade" - My Chemical Romance
- I heard an npr story the other day about how it's been ten years since this album came out. That's so crazy to me. I was 7. Seven. Anyway, I found this album when I was going through my particularly emo phase but this song is still great.
7. "Emperor's New Clothes" - Panic! At the Disco
- You can never have too much Panic! on a Halloween mix. The music video for this is fucking perfect for Halloween.
8. "Spooky Scary Skeletons (Remix)" - The Living Tombstones
A Michaels Christmas
Yooooo it's the most wonderful time of the year.
It’s that time again - the best time of the year. I threw together a playlist of my favorite holiday tunes. Weirdly, this ended up being mostly oldies (like, real oldies) but I guess that’s because for a long time my parents were deciding what we listened to. - Caleb
1. "Santa Baby" - Macy Gray
- One of my mom’s favorite movies is “Mona Lisa Smile”. It’s SO boring, but this version of this song is pretty cool.
2. "All I Want for Christmas is You" - Mariah Carey
- No Christmas playlist would be complete without this.
3. "Christmas Wrapping" - The Waitresses
- HIGHLY underrated Christmas tune in my opinion. Those horns know what’s up.
4. "Last Christmas" - Wham!
- Wham! is so cringingly 80s cheesy but this is still a classic.
5. "What Are You Doing New Year's Eve" - Rufus Wainwright
- My dad is obsessed with Rufus Wainwright. He’s got kind of a weird voice but I dig it.
6. "River" - Joni Mitchell
- A fave of my mom's. Really sad but I like it anyway.
7. "Christmas is Coming Soon" - Blitzen Trapper
- Adam introduced me to this band and I’m really getting into them. I also like that Blitzen is in their name - very on theme.
8. "Christmas Lights" - Coldplay
- Just the most chill xmas tune ever.
9. "Sleigh Ride" - Relient K
- Relient K is sort of an old band at this point, but I still like their stuff.
10. "Happy XMas (War is Over)" - John Lennon
- Another mom pick. I guess she really likes those sad tunes.
11. "All I Want for Christmas is New Year's Day" - Hurts
- This song is from, like, 2010, but it sounds like it’s from the 80s. I love it.